I have a secret.
I used to know everything about the NFL.
Okay, well maybe not eeeeverything, but more than most women (at least most Canadian women).
When I got married, I used to watch football all day every Sunday…I mean aaaallll day. I had my own jersey, I knew every quarterback on every team, I knew who was on special teams, and I was even given a skill testing football question at my wedding by our best man (question: who was number 11 on the Miami Dolphins? don’t worry…I answered right…Jim Jensen…special teams!!)
Decades later, I got kinda busy and lost track of all the players (I only know a handful of the quarterbacks!!), but I still love the sound of football…it’s like white noise for me!
So, needless to say, I am excited that the Superbowl is this Sunday….partly for the game, but mainly for the food!
Football shaped cheese balls, football shaped brownies, and LOADS of snacks.
What do I love most? Jalapeno poppers!
A few years back, I made these bacon wrapped poppers and it’s usually my go-to for jalapeno snacks (they are super easy)
But, I thought I might try a new twist on an old favourite…
This time using prosciutto instead of bacon…
…and bocconcini for extra ooziness!
Stuff them with the creaminess of cream cheese…
Wrap them up in puff pastry (use store bought…it’s awesome!!) and give them an egg wash…
Bake them up until they are all gooey and crispy and golden…
Trust me…people will come.
Lots of people will come.
You won’t even have to turn the football game on!!
- 1 roll (1/2 package) frozen puff pastry, thawed in fridge overnight
- 2 tbsp flour (for rolling out puff pastry)
- 9 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 tub (8 oz) cream cheese
- 9 small bocconcini, cut into quarters
- ⅓ c (roughly) chopped prosciutto (you can also use cooked, crumbled bacon)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Salsa (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold thawed pastry sheet and roll, using a bit of the flour to make sure it doesn't stick, into a 9x12 inch rectangle.
- Slice the sheet into eighteen 3x6 inch squares; cover with a tea towel
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and prosciutto; put 2 pieces of each bocconcini into each half jalapeno (use 1 whole bocconcini per jalapeno)
- Spoon cream cheese filling into jalapeno halves (on top of bocconcini, smoothing out the cream cheese).
- Wrap pastry squares around stuffed jalapenos and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together egg and brush egg mixture over poppers.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with salsa