Homemade peanut butter cups you say?
Oh yes, I say!
I say these homemade concoctions are so simple that I may have a neighborhood epidemic of spiked blood sugar on my hands!! They use what most people have in their pantry; they can be made in no time; they make great gifts, and they are fairly good for you (you know, dark chocolate, natural peanut butter and a spoon of pure bliss in dulce de leche form for good measure…because heaven forbid you make dessert tooooo heathy!!!)
I always have bars of dark chocolate for baking in my pantry…I used 1/2 of a large bar.
I use the muffin tin just to keep the shape…you can do it on your countertop but the shape may not be perfectly round.
My weapons of choice today (you could also sub in almond butter for the peanut butter and Nutella for the dulce de leche)
Poured in the bottom of the liners…
…and then twirled and poured out
Fill with some yummy goodness…
Press down with a damp finger (wet your finger but dab it on a paper towel before flattening…you don’t want any water in your candy!!)
Top with more chocolate and…
…call it a day.
A chocolate peanut butter cup day!
Celebrate National Peanut Butter Day (Jan 24th, 2017) with these babies!!
- 1 cup dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- ⅓ c natural peanut butter
- ⅓ cup dulce de leche (you can use caramel or you can leave this out...but why would you?!?!?!)
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave chocolate for 1 minute; stir
- Microwave for another 30 seconds; stir until completely melted (if you think you need more time, you can out it in for a few more seconds but do it 10 seconds at a time)
- Line a mini muffin tin with tiny paper liners (these are specific to candy making so they're small...you can go ahead and use regular muffin liners but when your blood sugar spikes, don't call me!)
- Pour a teaspoon of melted chocolate in the bottom of the liners and swirl around; pour out remaining chocolate
- When all the liners are coated, place in the freezer for 5 minutes to set
- Fill cavities with a half teaspoon of peanut butter and then top with the same amount of dulce de leche
- Top with chocolate and freeze to set.
- When serving, remove paper liners and serve!