I’ve heard that when you go to a restaurant, if the meal is spectacular but the bread in the bread basket is terrible and the coffee at the end is icky, then we usually remember the meal as just “okay”. I guess it makes sense that our instinct is to remember the beginning and the end of the meal…and if it’s bad, then the meal won’t be that memorable either!
So, with that in mind, if you’re having a dinner party, wouldn’t it be in your best interest to have some really awesome bread?
I know…that’s a lot to ask (I’m actually going to post a really easy Irish soda bread soon which will knock your socks off and a totally awesome no knead bread…coming soon!).
But what if I told you that you could whip up bread sticks in no time- using store bought puff pastry?
Well, sit back and relax…these are some totally terrific bread sticks that will get your dinner guests coming back for more!
1 pkg frozen puff pastry
1/2 c poppy seeds
1/2 c sesame seeds or flax seeds
1 eggs, beaten (or 1/4 c whipping cream)
4-5 rashers of bacon (lean if you can get it)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 and get 2 baking pans ready with either parchment or Silpat mats.
2. Take a long ruler and quickly wash it; then cover it with some plastic wrap and set aside.
3. Roll out your puff pastry until it forms a rectangle that is about 12 x 10 inches.
4. Using a pastry cutter (or even a sharp knife), cut off the end to make an even edge; then measure about 1″ and cut a strip (using the ruler to make it easier); continue to cut strips until you come to the end of the rectangle.
5. Take your bacon and slice it in half lengthwise (so you have 2 skinny long strips); begin wrapping (pictured above) and continue until you come to the end.
6. Repeat until you have no more bacon and place on the baking sheet.
7. With the remaining pastry strips, brush them with the beaten egg or whipping cream (the fat in both gives the bread sticks a golden colour and it helps to keep the seeds adhered through the cooking process).
8. Sprinkle with the flax seeds and then gently turn them over.
9. Brush the other side with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
10. Now, you can either twist them so you see both sides or…
…leave them flat so one side is golden and one side is black.
11. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and bake them for about 10 minutes, turning them over halfway to brown on both sides.
If you are having a fancy dinner party, place these in a tall jar (even a clean vase will work) and tuck it in the middle of a bread basket. Surround the bread sticks with the rest of the bread and not only do you have a great bread basket but you also have a nice centerpiece!
You can probably whip up some Kraft dinner and serve these…they will still give you a standing ovation!