This post was sponsored by the makers of SPLENDA®; thoughts and opinions are my own.
“Eat less sugar…you’re sweet enough already”
Just what are we going to do to help reduce added sugar intake (because, trust me, in my life, it’s a problem)? Well, when I was asked to try out some recipes using SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, I wasn’t sure what to expect. So I dove head first into the challenge and I thought, “I’m going to do this for my dad” (he’s trying to watch his sugar intake and he misses my baked goodies!).
Well, guess what? This stuff is good! I tried it in these cookies and, let me tell you…the texture was right on the money. These cookies are light and perfectly crumbly…an amazing cookie for dunking in milk or tea.
* makes about 48 small cookies
3/4 c butter
1 cup granulated SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
grated rind of 2 clementines
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 3/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cream (or a beaten egg will work)
handful sliced almonds (about 1/2 – 3/4 c)
1 c granulated SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
5 tsp clementine juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and get your cookie sheets ready with parchment or Silpat mats.
2. Zest the clementines and then juice them; set both aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whip butter and then add 1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener; whip until combined.
4. Add eggs, lemon extract and grated clementine rind, scraping down sides, and mix again; set aside.
Remember: when buying lemon extract – it also goes by lemon oil – it shouldn’t have extra colouring or other “funny stuff”!
…just pure lemon goodness!
5. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add egg mixture and mix.
7. Once the mix is combined, form into a ball,
…and cut into 4 pieces.
8. Take each piece and roll into a long strand.
9. Cut into finger length pieces and place on your baking sheet; press down with a fork to flatten.
10. Brush with the cream and press a few almonds into each cookie.
11. Bake for about 10 minutes (the bottom will be brown but there will be only slight colour on the top).
12. When you bite into it, it should have a nice crumb! Not too dry, not too moist…a perfect “dunking” cookie!
13. For the glaze, put the remaining 1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener into a bowl and add clementine juice; stir to combine.
14. Drizzle it onto the cookies…
…just like this!
Now, who wants a steaming cup of hot tea?
Ooooo….pick me, pick me!!!
For more information about SPLENDA®, please visit Splenda.ca.