Maria is my very good friend who runs the cooking school where I teach. She is super talented, super friendly, and one of the best cooks I have ever met. She makes soooo many great Italian dishes…all using traditional family recipes. She makes a killer lasagna and these cookies are one of my kids’ favourites.
It’s a great way to use up ricotta cheese thatyou have in the fridge and the dough can be scooped out and frozen on a cookie sheet, then transferred to a ziploc bag to be baked later. They are the best straight out of the oven, but when they cool, they are reminiscent of tiny scones (perfect for dipping into coffee or tea!). It makes a big batch so freeze some and use the rest later!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 carton (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in ricotta and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto a greased (or parchment or Silpat lined) baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes